Translate

Wednesday 1 January 2014

how did i come to be here?

maybe some are wondering: how did i become involved with the Spanish language and come to be in Nicaragua? 
or maybe not. . . .
 here's the story. 

From 1997 - 2003, I was living in Rotorua with my family. During this time, a brother began to associate with the congregation. He was from Chile. His name is Francisco. He spoke no English, but he was learning. As with most that come from overseas, his plan was to work and eventually bring his family to NZ. Wanting to communicate with our brother, a number of brothers and sisters began to learn some Spanish and so my interest in the language began. I brought a little Spanish phrase book to help me learn some simple sentences. Francisco was great, he would help us with Spanish and we'd help him with English. There was no Spanish group in NZ at that time.

In 2003, I moved to Hamilton. Here I came into more contact with native Spanish speakers in the cafe's and restaurants. I enjoyed practicing my half pai Spanish on them. Also in my congregation there was a brother who was learning Spanish. He'd get Spanish lesson CD's from the library and let me borrow them, I picked up a Spanish dictionary from the op shop. I enjoyed learning on my own. In 2005 Francisco told me there was talk of a spanish group starting in Auckland. He also told me of a planned public talk that was going to be given in Te Aroha which wasn't too far from Hamilton and he encouraged me to go. I wanted to go, but I didn't. I was excited at the news of a Spanish group starting in Auckland, I thought to myself, 'I'd really like to be in the Spanish group'.

By the end of 2005 I had moved to Australia. I took my Spanish literature with me. I was living in Brisbane. In my new congregation one of the elders was from Spain and there was also a sister and her son in the cong from Chile. These 3 encourage me and helped me with Spanish. I was given another Spanish dictionary from a sister in my cong as she knew I was learning and she had no use for it. The congregation I was in sponsored the Cambodian and Swahili groups at the time. A close friend of mine in my cong was from Tanzania and she was in the Swahili group. I would go witnessing with her. The people that spoke Swahili were friendly, humble, hospitable and they enjoyed learning from the Bible, so I started to learn the language and attend their meetings. Maybe if I'd stayed in Brisbane I would be in a land that speaks Swahili today.  But because I couldn't commit to the group I stopped going to their meetings and continued to learn Spanish while attending the English cong. At the beginning of 2009, I returned to live in Auckland with 2 goals, first, to help my son (Pernell) come into the truth and second, to join the Spanish group.

The Spanish group in Auckland was well and truly established. Fortunately, I was living in the territory of the congregation that sponsored the Spanish group. I was content to attend the English meetings and at the same time get to know the brothers and sisters that were in the Spanish group. You'd think with all the help I'd had and my books that my Spanish skills would be ok at this stage, but, I was still very much a beginners. Then a cool thing happened at the beginning of 2010. An announcement was made from the platform, inviting persons from the congregation who would like to, to attend a meeting to register their interest in joining and helping the Spanish group. I attended. We were informed of what would be involved. We were encouraged to consider it prayerfully and to discuss it with our families and to let them know of our decision. By now Pernell was progressing very well in the truth, although he was not yet baptized. If I committed to the Spanish group, it would mean he would spend parts of the meeting in English on his own. He assured me he would be fine. We were still using the same hall, at the same times, I would join the group only for the Book Study and Watchtower and the rest of the meetings would be in English with him. I also felt that this would be good for him to gradually start to stand on his own. I let the brothers know I'd love to be a part of the group. Later, I was informed that I'd been accepted into the group. I started attending their meetings in March 2010. On June 12th, 2010 Pernell was baptized.

A language class was held in Spanish for the group. This was great and helped immensely to prepare us for the ministry in the Spanish territory. Even though I found the meetings and ministry challenging and frustrating, I enjoyed them. The goal for our group was to become a cong, I loved working with the group toward that goal. There was always talk in the group about going to serve in a Spanish speaking country where the need is great if you could. I wanted to do it to improve my Spanish as this was an ongoing goal. I watched a DVD with Pernell about serving in Bolivia. I asked him if he'd like to go. He said yes, this became our new goal. We started saving. We decided we'd go near the end of 2011. Things were ticking along nicely. Pernell was doing great. He'd been auxillory pioneering then began regular pioneering, working along with the other pio's in the cong. One of them was Davina. Before long they were great friends. Davina is a gentle lovely person that I'd liked from the first time I met her which was even before Pernell met her. They were married July 6, 2012. Bolivia didn't eventuate, but I was happy I have my daughter-in-law. Also about this time, Paul & MC Hunter had become part of the Spanish group and they were planning to go to Nicaragua. While out in field with MC one day she invited me to come visit them while they're in Nicaragua. I appreciated the invite, but I really didn't think I could do it by myself, however that got me thinking about it at least. During 2013 the CO's visits to the congs included the DVD presentation about the translation work being done and the great needs in many parts of the world. I decided I'd do it and Nicaragua is where I'd go. I booked my ticket in June. It was also announced in June that the Spanish group would become a congregation in September. In November 2013 I was on my way to Nicaragua. That's how I became involved with the Spanish language and how I came to be here.

What have I learnt from this experience?
GOALS - have them. If you feel you'd like to do something, tell yourself; 'this can be my goal' Talk to Jehovah about it and how you feel about it, then he can work with you to reach your goals. I'm still working on the goal to improve my Spanish.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE EFFECT YOU CAN HAVE ON OTHERS - Our brotherhood is a beautiful provision. I've enjoyed this whole experience, because of those that I've met along the way. Those who've influence me to do Jehovah's will more fully are especially loved and appreciated. Thank you to everyone associated with the Auckland Spanish Group and now Congregation. I especially appreciate the patience and kindness of the group and the hard work put in by those like me who were just learning. Thank you my kids. Yous always make me happy and give me courage. Thank you my whanau, Your ongoing love and support spur me on. Thank you all so much xx



1 comment:

  1. Hey ma i just read your blog and it was a really nice experiance haha maybe it could be in the year book one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete